Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Bleh

I feel like I should somehow explain my current absence from this blog. But I don't have any good excuses. Last week I was painting, which is a semi-excuse, as things were a little torn apart here in the bedroom, but mostly I've just been feeling uninspired. I've been having more mad/sad moments lately than I really care to share. I'm hating Albuquerque more than I have been for awhile. Tonight is my mom's birthday, and they're having cake at Boobecca's, Katy bringing her date du jour. And I'm missing it. It really makes me want to bawl. I'm realizing that blogging is the best way I have of keeping in touch with my sweet sisters, and I am dropping the ball. I check on their sites every day, and cherish the insights they give me into their lives. So, in the spirit of giving it the ole college try, I'll eek out a quick recap of the goings on here in the Krause House.

School seems to be going well for Madeline. At the beginning of last week, I was worrying because her work was being sent home sadly uncompleted. I was worried that we were going to go through the whole issue of her not being willing to work at school again. Those worries seem to have been unfounded, thank god. Her last few days of work last week were stellar. I can tell she's really trying hard and doing everything as she's supposed to. Her teacher actually told me she's one of the top students in the class. YAY!!! We're still battling in the mornings, this morning being particularly heinous, but in general she seems happier, and more willing to be compliant when I ask her to. Zach is happy to have mom and the house to himself for most of the day, although it hasn't made him learn how to crap in the toilet any quicker. This week is officially no more trainers week, please, whatever potty training gods are out there, help me.

As I mentioned before, I painted a wall in my bedroom last week. I know it doesn't sound like much, but our bedroom is kindof huge, and the one wall took about 5 days (a couple hours here an there, as any project being completed by a mom seems to be), and a whole gallon of paint. It's better than the white, but it still needs something. Again, uninspired. I've always had a hard time figuring out what to put on the wall above the bed, and in the 10 years or so that Clark and I have shared a bedroom, I don't think I've ever hung anything above up there, for fear of putting up something that I'll hate. And again, with the perfectionism. Bleh

Clark was out of town last week for 3 nights. I HATE it when he's out of town. He has always had jobs that take him on the road on occasion, but it's been particularly difficult lately. Part of which is probably being stuck here in a town where I have no support system. In Cedar, I could always crash mom's or Becky's for dinner, or just to let the kids terrorize someone else's house for a couple hours. Here, it's all me, all the time. This has actually been underlying a lot of my mad/sad issues the last week or so. Two things really triggered it hard. One, Clark got us tickets for Dave Matthews next week at the Journal Pavilion. I've wanted to see Dave Matthews for a LONG time, and when I heard he was going to be here a few months ago I told Clark, we definitely need to see it. He was a dear and hooked up the tickets, since I get all stressed when it comes to putting a credit card number on the computer. So, the time to get a sitter starts getting closer and closer. We call the ONE girl here we know, and of course she will be going to the concert. I think Clark has arranged something, but it requires us taking the kids to someone's house I don't know, and leaving them there until pretty late, on a school night. Not exactly ideal. The second thing was trying to arrange a weekend for me to go to Seattle in November. NOVEMBER, people! 3 months from now. You'd think I was trying to go to Antarctica for a month or something. The hardest thing about both these situations was how completely out of control and powerless I am feeling about being able to be in charge of my own time. I am a slave to my children. I have no one here to help me. I can't take a break, even if I had anything to do. Clark tries really hard, but sometimes it's not enough. OK, now I really am going to bawl.

6 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger lonna said...

I am so sorry that you are going through all of this. We're in a similar situation, but both Ethan and I work. We don't know a soul in Ames, and we have never left Dermot with anyone other than his daycare while we are at work. I'm not tied to Dermot all day every day though and Ethan rarely travels. We've been here two years and I don't have a support system either. We've just now started to do some things to try to meet other parents. Hopefully your daughter will make some friends and maybe you can befriend the parents. I was hoping on that, but Dermot's too young for now. I hope that you feel better.

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger hazel said...

that is awful. it's horrible feeling so stressed about not having your own time. I get that way, too. even though I've lived in this area all my life, the number of people willing and available to watch our children (or pets) is very, very small.

I think you read that I sort of lost my mind last weekend and pretty much guilted sean into calling out of work. maybe that's the step you need to take, so you can get the hell out of there for a little while and get recharged. even a night or two does WONDERS.

I hope you feel better soon. oh, and I'm super psyched that you blogged again!

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Katy said...

Oh honey. I'm so sorry you're feeling uber bleh. I wish I could just beam myself to Albuquerque and give you a big hug and a day off. How's the preschool for Zach thing going? Is there some sort of Day Careish type thing that you could enroll him in for like a day so you could have a mommy day while Madeline's at school? There's always the option of bringing someone into the home on a part time basis. Maybe to cook a meal, clean up once a week, and give you a much needed dose of Mandy time. I love you so much and I hope you get feeling better really soon. I'm sending good thoughts your way!

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Stine said...

I love you Mandy, and wish to hell I could be there to spell you off sometimes. Please do consider having a real heart to heart w/C and tell him that he needs to understand the position that you are in - a lot. You need to have a few days down time, because what you are doing is WORK too. You do this work ALL the time and, as you mentioned, often without respite or a support system. The least he can do is not begrudge you a few days in Seattle, and that's not just because I want to see you.

You're a strong lady. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger NME said...

I know what you mean. Sometimes if I really think about how it's be impossible for me to take off for a couple of days I get a bit panicky and stressed. It's hard to be so damn invaluable. I guess it's alot better then being expendable though.

I think Patrice's idea is a good one. Maybe you can get away for awhile by yourself.

And on the sitter front - if you figure that one out let me in on the secret.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Missuz J said...

Just on a lunch break and no time for a long comment. Love you--will call soon--you didn't miss anything last night--love you again--damn--i wish i could do somthing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home