Thursday, July 21, 2005

Just DO IT

Well, she went to dancing today. After a brilliant conversation with her father last night, she decided that she wanted to. (THANKS HONEY!!) And, she came out crying, again. I showed up early to watch for a few minutes, and they were doing Flamenco, just like yesterday. (Flamenco is HUGE in New Mexico) She was kinda participating this time, at least she wasn't sitting in the corner, but by the time they were out the door, she was in tears. Apparently the little girl behind her in line told her to go when they were leaving and Madeline wasn't moving fast enough for her. I don't think she was trying to be mean, but Madeline didn't like it. Jee-sus she is SO sensitive! I'm aware that Cancer's are a sensitive bunch, but this child is taking it to a whole new level, and I don't know what to do about it, other than assure her that she's ok, and move on. Usually it only gets worse if I allow her to dwell on it. I don't want to invalidate her feelings, but sometimes I wish she'd GET OVER IT.

I'm trying to get up the nerve to go to a yoga workshop this weekend. I've been doing yoga for about 11 years now, and taught in Utah for 2. The workshop is 4 hours Sunday afternoon, which is pretty tame as far as yoga workshops go. It's working with yoga as a therapeutic tool, and I've heard the teacher is AWESOME. Actually, my current teacher, Kim, said she's awesome, and Kim rocks my world on a regular basis, so I hold his opinion pretty high. I don't know what I'm so scared of. I mean, I realize that I've been slacking on my yoga lately, particularly over the summer with traveling and Clark's new job, and the sick kids and all, but it's not like I'm totally without experience here. Working with Kim had been an eye opening experience for sure. I do have my days where I start thinking, dang, I guess I've been doing this wrong for a decade now. But then I have to tell myself I'm just moving to a new, deeper level of understanding both of the poses and of my body. I just wish I felt stronger in my practice. I wish I had a shred of a home practice. I wish I didn't have to judge myself CONSTANTLY. I know that the things I wish for will not happen unless I make/allow them to happen. We'll just call this putting my intention out there as far as yoga goes. Gotta start somewhere.

7 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger Missuz J said...

GO TO YOGA!!!

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger hazel said...

damn, that's a long time to be yogaing. totally go. listen to your sister.

I wonder what's up with madeline? have you asked the teacher about what she's noticed? and I love flamenco.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger NME said...

I'm a cancer. And when I was a kid I quit just about everything I tried. Softball, cheerleeding, dance. I was always sad I wasn't better at things right away - and I felt shy and embarassed.

As an adult I still feel that way but I push past it because I know I can. Be patient and encouraging with Madeline. It's scary stuff.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Katy said...

Go, if not just for you it would set an example for Madeline about doing things that we aren't necessarily the best at or that we aren't 100% comfortable doing. Plus it sounds awesome. I really feel like she'll get over it. She'll make some friends and realize how freaking cool it is that shes a 6 year old flamenco dancer and be all Mary Sunshine. Love you

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both your little sis's are quite wise.

Your big sis, well, it depends on the day. Go girl. I think there are some new great New Mexico things that will start bubbling up from your body.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Kodi said...

Kiri started many activities through the years, and I spent many a pretty penny on them. I had one rule when she wanted to start something new. She had to do it for a year. If after a year, she wanted to quit, I'd let her. She quit karate after a year, she quit playing the flute after a year. She did, however, stick with the basketball, which makes up for all the rest. Good luck. I think you're a fabulous Yoga person/teacher.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Missuz J said...

Helloooooo? You're totally slacking!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home