Sunday, June 12, 2005

Good Times

So, the trip is going pretty well so far. The kids are sleeping well on their respective air mattresses on grandma's floor, and there have been no major traumas (knock on wood). Clark put on his mountain bike race for Utah Summer Games yesterday. Something he had committed to last year, and he doesn't go back on his commitments, so he was out in the desert, which you would think would be sunny and comfortable in the middle of June, but was actually cold and rainy, dealing with 140 or so crazy people who decided to brave the cold and wet and ride their bikes around for a few hours for FUN. I don't get it. I felt really bad for him, and really glad that I wasn't stuck out there too. While it was raining, Madeline, Kate-ster, and I went to see "The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl in 3D". It was pretty cute, but the 3D technology left a little to be desired. Since I wear glasses already, it was a bit of a mystery as to whether the 3D glasses should go on the outside or the inside of the regular old 'need these to see' glasses. It didn't give me a headache, but I did spend a good part of my viewing time watching without the 3D glasses and thinking the little red and blue lines around the images weren't too bad to tolerate. The funniest part might have been the little boy sitting across the aisle from us saying to his mom, while wearing the glasses, before the movie started, "Mom, I'm lookin at people, but none of them are comin at me!"

Last night we had a party at Beck's house (aka Missuz J, Rebecca, Becky, Becca, Auntie Boo, just to be clear). It was really nice. It was officially a birthday party for our sweet friend Kyle, who was in town for 9 days between training for 6 months with the National Guard somewhere in the South (Georgia? South Carolina? not sure) and heading off to Iraq for the next year and a half. I need to not even start with how I feel about that politically. Personally though I'm really sad and worried about him, and so grateful that the universe conspired for us to be able to hang out at Boo's house for a lovely evening together. His lovely wife Kelli (super friend) was there along with many other assorted friends and family including Kodikins, Jen and Paul (who we should properly thank for introducing us to this whole blog thing, Thanks Paul!), Kelli's sister, Kyle's sister, and of course Eric and Sophie. Wow, it really was a sister reunion, cool. Paul brought the karaoke machine, which is always a hit at our gatherings, and we played many rounds of Uno. I love made-up Uno rules. Some of the more entertaining ones included having to say "I'm a dirty bastard" when playing a "mean" card, being required to procure a "drunken display" when playing a 9, choosing someone to sing a song when playing a 7, and being required to say, or preferably shout, "Uno Muthafucka!" when down to your last card. Good Times.

A million thankyous to Katy for watching the kids. You ROCK!

I'm so happy to have another 2 weeks to spend here. It was a little weird being back at first, but last night I finally realized how great it is to be able to be away from the friends and family you love, and then when you come back, all the love is still right there. Don't know why I was worried about that, silly me.

3 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Blogger NME said...

I see from reading Missuz J that you have had a trauma - glad that it was only minor and I hope the only one.

Biking in the desert sounds like a bad idea. But new rule Uno sounds excellent. I always knew that game could be so much more.

So glad you're having a good time.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Katy said...

The new rule game is a blast but what do you think it means when the child lays down a wild card and says christmas colors? Red and green? Is yellow an option? Does this mean that you can lay down a green six on a red three just because it's a christmas color?? I don't know. I'm a dirty bastard is so much easier.

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home