Friday, May 20, 2005

Totally Thwarted

Sometimes I don't know why I even bother. I picked Madeline up from school today with a plan. We'll go by the fabric store, check out some patterns and fabric for the curtain project, stop by Sweet Tomatoes after for dinner since it IS Friday night, and Clark is out of town, then, home and early to bed for the little ones. Sounds perfect, right? Well, that shows me. After grabbing Madeline, we swung by the house to grab some lemonades, since she was hot and thirsty after her field trip today. Maybe that should have been a hint. Lemonade acquired, I tried to decide the best route over to the fabric store. I decided to brave the freeway, it wasn't rush hour yet (so I thought), and I've been trying to get over my freeway fears, so we went for it. Right as I'm approaching the onramp I notice that the traffic on the freeway is looking very congested and slow, so I brilliantly decide to skip the freeway at the last second and go for the frontage road. About 5 seconds later, the traffic comes to a dead stop. Huh? We proceed to sit in stop and go for about 20 minutes while the freeway is moving along to my left slowly, but much faster than we are. Brilliant move on my part. At this point, I notice that Zach has fallen asleep. I consider turning around and going home, but having gone through this much, I decide that the 20 minutes he's getting in the car will probably be ok, and Madeline had seemed really excited about the fabric store, so we continued to bravely persevere. We get off the frontage road, finally, and take a wide detour around the traffic to start heading back toward the store. At this point, I notice that Madeline has fallen asleep too. OK, now what, keep going, wake them both up when we get there, and try to shop with 2 sleepy cranky kids? Or, turn around, drive home, and hope they both (or either, actually) sleep through the transfer from the car to the house. I decided to go home. And they both woke up as soon as I turned off the car. Luckily, Zach could be persuaded to go back to sleep. Madeline is resting, having a chocolate milk, and reading a book from her new book order. Not sleeping, but close enough. Oh, well, maybe we'll try again tomorrow. Now though, that chocolate milk isn't sounding bad at all.

1 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent ending. Little bits of irony make the toil and travail into triumph.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home