Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Friends, Food, and Feeling Ick

Feeling a little better today. I've been not feeling great since about Friday. Sore throat and headache. I hate being sick, especially on a holiday weekend. Somehow it just doesn't seem fair. So, I spent Saturday laying around in my jammies, and totally forgot a birthday party that Madeline was invited to. Oh, the guilt. Luckily, I think she forgot too. She so wants friends to play with here, and I don't quite know how to accommodate that for her. I see kids running around our neighborhood sometimes, but they all seem a little older than her, and now that school is out, I have no way of contacting her school friends. I had been planning on harvesting a few phone numbers at said forgotten birthday party, but obviously that didn't work out. There were a few little girls in our old neighborhood in Utah that she liked to play with, but they were all a year older than her and had a tendency to ditch her. A couple of them were downright mean sometimes, and I worried a lot about her getting her feelings hurt. There was one though who was SO sweet, and they were really building a nice little friendship the last couple months we were there. I feel for her when it comes to the friend thing, after moving so much as a kid, I tended to look for one good friend, and not worry about the rest. I did, however, always have my sister around to play with (or fight with, depending on the day). Maybe kindergarten is a little young to be making those kind of friends, and I have high hopes for first grade.

Sunday, I convinced myself I was feeling well enough not to cancel a little dinner party we had planned. We invited a couple and their almost 2 year old beauty over for dinner. They are really nice, and seem to be becoming official friends of ours. He sold us this house, and hit it off with both Clark and I during the process. Then, a couple weeks after we moved in, they actually called and volunteered to babysit. Dude, you have to love anyone who volunteers to watch the kids. We reciprocated a few weeks later and had their sweet little girl over while they went to some kind of business dinner thing. This finding babysitters is hard. I was so spoiled with having my mother and sisters available. It was actually one of my biggest concerns with moving, and has proved to be a valid one. Clark and I used to get out at least twice a month, sometimes more. Often, it was just for a Sunday matinee, but still, any grownup time is good. Since we've been here, I think we've gone out a grand total of 3 times. Not good. (sidenote: while Clark was grilling the veggies for our dinner, Zach asked if he could 'chonk' the barbecue. No idea what he was referring to on that one.)

Monday we had a family day out. We had late breakfast at Weck's, then proceeded to the mall for "Madagascar." Clark was sweet enough to offer to take the kids to the movie while I did some shopping. I found some great deals on summer clothes for the kids, and bought myself a cute top and a new bra. Happy new bra day, cause shopping for a bra, for me, can be an all day, frustrating as hell process. I probably should have just gone to the movies with the kids, though, as I think I overdid it a bit, and was feeling pretty crappy by the end of the day again. So, Tuesday was another laying around the house trying to rest and feel better day. Seems to have worked, so far. I think the kids and I will head back to the mall today, have to exchange a couple shirts that didn't quite fit Miss Madeline. Sizing for kids clothing is a mystery to me, one of the 6x's was too big, the other too small. Ah well, we'll just go enjoy some free air conditioning for awhile, no biggie.

10 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Blogger NME said...

I too have got the ick. I wish I had long sharpened objects with which to scratch at my throat and ears.

We have a nearby couple with a one year old. Last time I saw them I offered to babysit him if they wanted to go out. I figured maybe we could trade off. They said that was a good idea but haven't yet asked me. Maybe they think I am unfit.

How did the family like Madagascar?

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger hazel said...

I once forgot a birthday party that trent was supposed to go to and I felt HORRIBLE, so I feel your pain there. and bra shopping? I have to take like 10 in at a time, and maybe...just maybe I'll get one that fits. and my rack isn't nearly as big as nicole's - she must have to set aside a weekend to bra shop.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Katy said...

Bra shopping is just an event any time. But at least you didn't have to haul the kids around and try and do the new bra dance... So sorry you feel sick, wish I could magically beam myself to alb. and help you out, but unfortunately I do not have the technology. But in like a week and a half you'll be here and you can chill for a bit. YAY! Love ya.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger amandak said...

The kids liked Madagascar a lot. Clark said it was better than Shark Tale, but worse than, say, Nemo. Cute characters, but not much plot. Personally, I was relieved to not have to sit through it, something tells me I'll end up seeing it about a billion times on dvd when the time comes.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger amandak said...

also, hope you feel better soon!

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Missuz J said...

Madagascar was the STUPIDEST movie I have EVER SEEN and please keep in mind that I have a freakin' closet full of stupid kid movies. I usually don't mind movies that anthropomorphise (how I wish my vocabulary didn't exceed my spelling abilities) animals--but I really feel that they need to go whole hog. (cringe--unintentional pun.) A one sentence summary of Madagascar--"A formerly captive carniverous lion winds up in the wild with his herbiforous friends and begins to think they look delicious." In the end, the solution is that he eats fish--because apparently in the animal kingdom, fish don't have witty personalities or the voices of quasi-famous actors. The only good parts of the movie were a couple of monkies "If you have any poop--throw it now!" and some conspiracy minded penguins--"What did you do with the people?" "We killed them and ate their livers. Just kidding! They're on a slow lifeboat to China." As an aside, the one line Sophie remembered from the movie, and has been quoting for 6 days is, "You're biting my butt!"

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Missuz J said...

Sorry for the rant. Can't wait to see you SOON!

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I no longer have to sit thru silly cartoons. I hate cartoons. 13 years of cartoons is too much. But now I have to go see stuff like "Ella Enchanted" and "mean girls" Don't know which one is worse. Hope you feel better soon.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger hazel said...

I saw mean girls. by myself. in the movie theater.

and now I'm wondering if I'm going to leave my comment as myself or as anonymous.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger amandak said...

don't worry, I saw Ella Enchanted, by myself, in the theater, and I LIKED it. I don't care who knows!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home