Saturday, June 04, 2005

So Slacking

OK, I am so so slacking on this blog thing. My bad. Things have been fairly mellow around here the last few days. Clark got an offer for another new job. He must be pretty cool for people to keep finding him and offering him more money. I'm really proud. The kids are well. I think they're getting sick of me though. Thursday, I seriously did NOTHING useful. Finished my book, and probably spent way too much time reading blogs and IMing my bestest bud in Seattle. Pretended to still be sick even though I was feeling mostly better, then Friday I woke up with the most monstrous headache I've had in ages. Karma maybe? I think I must have slept weird or something. (sorry if it seems like I'm doing a lot of complaining about my health lately, don't know what's up with that) Anyways, Friday was supposed to be my big errand day, grocery shopping, plus another trip to the home improvement store in preparation for the fan installation, and I seriously wanted to pass out every time I moved fast. Not to mention, Clark had arranged a babysitter for our first real date since Valentine's Day to celebrate the upcoming new job, and who wants to go on a date with a headache. So, scheduled an emergency trip to the chiropractor, and busted out the ice pack. Both helped some, and by the time the errands were done and date night rolled around, I was feeling human again. Thank god for small miracles.

Date night was excellent. We had a gift certificate to a semi-fancy restaurant in Old Towne that we'd been saving since we moved here, and decided it was time to use it already. The food was really nice, particularly the calmari, yum. Oh, and the fantabulous lemon drop cocktail made with strawberry vodka, double yum. Then we headed over to the movie theater for Star Wars. I was suitably entertained, even though I did spill my coke all over the floor and partly over my date in a mad dash to the potty during what I hoped was a lull in the action. (Sorry baby!) Spent all night dreaming about Darth Vadar, so I guess it made an impression. I think my kids like the babysitter better than me though. Maybe they should at $10/hr. Is that seriously the going rate for a babysitter? Clark assured me we weren't overpaying her, but it seemed pretty steep to me. Although, I can't complain about the sweetie he found to sit for us. She's going to school to be a kindergarten teacher, and is currently the director of a summer fitness camp type thing at a local gym. She's tall and beautiful and thinks my kids are very special, so really, I guess I should shut it. She was worth every penny of the $60 smacks we shelled out. It just takes you back a bit when you go to take the 3 year old out of his bed in the morning and he says, "I want my babysitter!"

The fans were successfully installed this morning. YAY! My only complaint is the odd strobe light effect we're getting on the ceiling with the one in our bedroom if you run the fan with the light on. We went for a different kind of light kit than the one we had in our old house, which in my opinion, looks much better, but the actual illumination is definitely different. I keep trying to come up with some kind of brilliant solution, but nothing's coming. Madeline's fan has flower petal blades in pastel colors with butterfly decorations on the chain pulls, and looks SO cute in her newly decorated room. Still no progress on the curtains in there, but I must say, the whole thing is butterfly-rific.

7 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Missuz J said...

I'm glad you had a good date. I totally want that fan for Sophie's room. Is it a Lowes? 4 more days!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger hazel said...

60 dollars????? holy schamokin!! glad you had a date night, though. sounds nice.

as do the fans. we seriously need one in our room. we went from 68 degrees as a high to 90 yesterday. wtf? and our 85-year-old house has no central air, and we haven't dragged out the window units yet. so we sweated to death last night. ew.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger NME said...

$10/hr does seem like a lot! But I guess you are paying for her experience.

And I would require her to be a tad less spectacular. You need to stay top dog!

I SO envy your ceiling fan.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Kodi said...

At $10/hour I'm gonna to manage Kiri's sitting jobs now, and take 20% of the earnings. We'll make a killing.
Glad you're feeling better. I could totally picture your mad dash to the potty with coke flying all over Clark. Pretty funny. I'm sure he thought so too, after he washed the stickiness off.

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given your description of the sitter, sounds like I am going to wake up saying, "I want the babysitter." $10/hour is a bargain for that. :)

Congrats on Clark getting the new job offer, hopefully that will give you two some more time to get to know your new home together.

Having seen the movie twice myself, I kind of suspect that it isn't the movie that left you dreaming of Vader; it seems more likely that your own well-restrained dark side found a mythic image of release that it could use to lever out some top-shelf dream time.

Thanks for keeping up the blog, it gives some of us in the shadows the chance to keep up with you.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Katy said...

I'm gonna be a babysitter, screw this banking thing! I'm tall, and find myself fairly pleasant to look at. I could get 10 bucks an hour. Whatever Katy, dream on. Glad you two had fun! Can't wait to see ya!

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually $10/hr is totally the going rate here in Seattle. Very steep from the $2 an hour I used to make in '82.

God I'm old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home