Thursday, July 14, 2005

Back in Business

OK, time to stop reading and start writing. I got my internet connection connected again yesterday (YIPPEE!!!), and have been spending the time since catching up on my reading, when I can wrestle Madeline away from Barbie.com. So, I guess it's time to write. It has been, what, 2 weeks? And I hadn't even written about the rest of the vacation yet. I don't know where to begin. We'll try chronologically, but no promises on continuity there.

The rest of the vacation was nice. I didn't get to see as much of my sweet sis Becca the last week as I wanted to as she was working, but we'll make up for it sometime soon, hopefully. Honestly, though, I'm having a hard time recalling what we precisely did do that last week. The weather wasn't being particularly cooperative, so we spent more time than I'd have liked cooped up in grandma's house. Friday night's karaoke was definitely the high point for me. I didn't sing, but got to hear Bec, Kodi, and Paul, so that rocked. Also danced my pants off with Jen. I do LOVE to dance. One of the things I have to admit I enjoyed about the church in California were the abundance of dances. Pretty much every weekend in the summer we'd travel around the central coast, hooking up with more oppressed mormon kids to dance, dance, dance. Didn't do so much in Utah, and of course, once you're an official grownup, the opportunities for dancing ones pants off are few and far between. Who would have thought it could be accomplished in a dive bar in southern utah. Not moi! Thanks to all who came out and played, hope I didn't embarrass anyone too much.

We stopped overnight in Flagstaff on the way back and stayed at the Little America there. I get teased for it, but I kindof love the Little America. Many of you will have no idea what I'm talking about. I should figure out how to put links in here so you can see for yourself. It's a hotel chain that originated in Wyoming, and one of my earliest memories is having my first BLT in their fancy restaurant with my dad in the middle of the night on some crazy roadtrip we were being hauled on. I had to have been around 4. Their decor tends toward over the top, and I was incredibly impressed with the sparkly chandeliers. Needless to say, it made a serious impression. Clark and I have stayed in the one in Salt Lake (the 'Little' one, not the 'Grand' one) on several occasions, and have also stayed in the one in Flagstaff more than once, but usually just to crash on our way to somewhere else. Becca and I stayed there for mother's day, and my appreciation was increased. Yes, the decor is a little yikes, but it's always clean, always quiet, always comfortable, and the service is always great. Anyhoo, we have also learned since deciding to stay for a day with the kids that the pool rocks too.

Clark started his new job the day after we got back. He ended up not being able to take any time off in between jobs again, since he had a client in town the day before he was to start. He wasn't able to take any time off when he started here in December either. That's 3 jobs in a row with not one day off in between. Yikes. I have been feeling a great deal of gratitude toward my lovely husband lately. He's been stressed, because it is physically impossible for humans to make that kind of change without stressing to some degree, but he's been really great about being present while he's at home with the kids and I. I know how lucky I am to have a man who is willing and able to take such good care of his family.

The kids and I have been kicking around the house, doing the typical summer vacation stuff. For me, that has been obsessively watching the Tour de France. (Lance is y.u.m.m.y.) We've been watching the tour together when we could since we got married. The last few years we've managed to be on vacation in Yosemite during July (Clark's family has a small cabin up there), and caught the coverage on Outdoor Living Network, which is the only place you can see the whole thing. So, we've hooked up for the million channels of Dish Network in order to have OLN just to watch the tour. The kids are, of course, enjoying the quadrupling of the kid channels too. I'm telling myself it's just for one month, and it's too hot to do much outside, and it IS summer, aren't you supposed to veg out at least part of the time?

The kids have been to the pool a couple times with Clark. While I love swimming, I HATE shaving the bikini line, so I've let that be one on one dad and kid time for now. The pool is also located at his new gym, which I am not yet a member of. Oh well. While Madeline was swimming with dad on Saturday, Zach and I went to Target. Very successful Target trip. Got a bunch of birthday shopping done for Madeline (July 21), and got myself a new yoga outfit for a great price. Stocked up on some household items, and found a super cd holder for all the kid game disks that pile up around my computer.

While Zach went swimming with dad on Sunday, Madeline and I went to the theater. It was awesome. They have a family series at the Albuquerque Little Theater downtown. This time it was "Free To Be You and Me". Apparently it was a book (and tape?) for kids in the 70's about self esteem and such, and has since been adapted to the stage. I was unfamiliar with the book, but then again, my family was out of the country for much of the 70's, so they missed a bunch of that great 70's stuff. It was Madeline's first experience with live theater, and I think she dug it. She sat on my lap for most of it, which I can't complain about. She won't fit for too much longer. There were lots of kids onstage, and lots of songs, even though there wasn't much of a plot line. Their next production is Stuart Little, followed by Ozma of Oz in the spring.

Live theater is one of the things I like about Albuquerque. An abundance of live theater. One of my buds from college, Vic, is actually a working actor here. I had my stint in college of doing the theater thing. Not unlike littlest sis Katy. I was much more a behind the scenes kind of girl though. I liked being a part of it, but did NOT crave the spotlight. Now, I am a great appreciator. I had a long chat with Vic about this a few weeks back. It is amazing to me, the people who put so much time and effort and, well, their essence I guess, into creating a live performance. Something that exists only for the time it is being performed, and then it's gone. And god bless those who are willing to do the work for next to no money. My all time bestest bud Stine, and her lovely honey, Lyam, have been doing fringe theater in Seattle for about 10+ years, and I have seen some of the most impressive performances ever on that small stage, from actors who weren't getting paid diddly squat.

OK, time to wrap up for now. Madeline is chomping at the bit. I was going to try to do my grocery list writing assignment from Nicole today, but it'll have to wait til either later this evening, or tomorrow. I also haven't forgotten about being 'tagged' or whatever. I'll try to do that soon too. It's kinda fun to have blog assignments. Keeps me thinking, which is good. Glad to be back in the blogdom. Thanks Beck for posting that cute comment about my internet accident.

p.s. For PDD, in response to your comment about the last minute reprieve you're holding out for from the mormons, unfortunately, if you were baptised, and then left the church, you don't get the last minute out, it's straight to hell for those who heard the word and rejected it. Ah well, Steve's not worried. : )

7 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Katy said...

Yay my sister's back. I've been feeling serious withdrawals the last two weeks and literally squeeled when I saw your return. Hooray!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Missuz J said...

Pictures? Pictures? If you don't have time, email them to me, and I'll post them for you. Love you a million. Madelines's birthday? Yikes! Hints please?

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger amandak said...

Damn the pictures. Seriously. When the computer went down, I thought, this is a good time to see if I can get the pics at least onto the computer. I can't get the damn disc to download whatever the hell software it needs to show me the pics. Fuck fuck fuck. I'm going to try again tomorrow morning. If I can't get it to work, I'll call you, maybe you can help me. I need all the help I can get.

As for birthday. I'll think on it. But you have good auntie instincts, you should be fine. And, if you don't get around to getting anything, don't stress, I'm sure she'll have plenty.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger NME said...

Welcome back Amanda!

Ladies first! My sixth grade class performed excerpts from Free to be. So cute. I wish I had the 1972 cast recording with Marlo Thomas etc. And when I say my class performed I don't mean me. I TOO love the theater - but have horrible, horrible stage fright.

The bikini line is awful. All shaving is. Yuck. I'm still covered with razor bumps from the shaving I did for our excursion to the pool.

Is three too young to get flowers? I remember getting flowers sent to me once when I was really young and thinking it was about the most exciting thing EVER.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Missuz J said...

NME--BRILLIANT!!!! Thanks!

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger hazel said...

woohoo! you're back! I too like to dance my pants off. I have been known to be completely pantsless after a good night of boogie-ing down.

I did theater in high school, and I liked it alot. I liked the singing - it was all musicals. but I don't think I'd want to do it today. I too am an appreciator.

nicole has alot of theater friends, and seeing their performances is really uplifting. and yes, they all get paid next to nothing and they don't care one bit. it's truly a calling.

welcome back, again, and don't stay away so long next time. and happppy birthday, madeline!

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The next time you or missuzj is in town, I need a friggin (how's that for good Mo word?) tutorial in blogspot. It doesn't like me and I still can'te get mine formatted correctly. Alas, I am glad you're back too and will bide my time in livejournal land until I figure this shit out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home