Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Kid Rant

The vomiting is officially behind us. Thank GOD. Now I get to be irritated about entirely new things. Yay.

Madeline is driving me a little nuts today. It's her birthday tomorrow, as EVERYONE knows, from my blog buds, to the cashier at the grocery store, and I'm busting my ass to make it a fun one for her. I wasn't able to swing a party with friends, since we don't have any here, and she did say she'd like a family party, as long as I decorated the house for her. So, today, while she was at ballet camp, Zach and I went to the party store and spent $50 bucks on streamers and balloons and flowery leis to make a Lilo & Stitch/Luau Birthday Extravaganza for her. Then I ran over to Target to pick her up a new ballet skirt to wear to ballet camp on her birthday. Mind you, this is all in practically 100 degree weather with a 3 year old in tow.

So, I get over to the ballet studio with a few minutes to spare so I can watch her dance for the last part of class. Can't find her anywhere. She's not in studio 1, or studio 2, and I start to panic, darting back and forth between the viewing windows, using the mirrors to examine every corner of said studios, checking the dressing room, and the bathrooms. Finally, a teacher comes out of one of the studios and I ask her, where's Madeline? Turns out, Madeline had a tough class, and was laying down on a bench in the corner of the studio (just out of sight of moms and mirrors). Her class comes out and she's bawling, and telling me that it was "a total nightmare" (her words). Of course, none of the other kids seem to have experienced this "nightmare" she was speaking of, but maybe they hide it better than she does, who knows. Somehow I doubt that.

Bottom line is, she doesn't want to go back. Now, I paid $100 dollars (not counting tights, ballet shoes, and a pink leotard) for her to go to this camp, which she already missed one day of from being sick. She's gone to a whole 2 days, and doesn't want to go back. What should I do? I don't want to force her to go on her birthday and make her miserable, but I also don't want her to just quit. I'm at a loss. She's had such a crap attitude about this kind of stuff since we moved here, it's like she's channeling my mother in law or something. It's as though she has to find the worst part of any situation, and bemoan that, to the exclusion of allowing herself to enjoy anything. How do I encourage her to try hard and find enjoyment in her efforts? Thoughts? Anyone?

6 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger Katy said...

If it was me, which I realize it isn't, but if it was, I'd still make her go. Sit her down and talk to her. You're daughter is a highly intelligent child, you have the luxury of being able to reason with her to an extent. I know we talked about this yesterday already but I really think it's just her adjusting to something new. Maybe find out why it was such a nightmare, if there's someone's picking on her or something or someone hurting her, take it up with the teacher. If it's just to hard or she's not the center of attention or something similar make her stick it out. That's just the opinion of a non mother though so take it for what it's worth. Love ya

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger NME said...

The situation sucks. But I think Katy is probably right. Good instincts - mother or no.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Kc said...

Ok, everything that Katy said, but I would do it after I gave her the tutu. Put on music and dance around with her. Let her find the fun in it again and then encourage her to go back.

*Disclaimer* No kid to lend the weight of experience behind my thoughts

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Missuz J said...

Shit dude. I don't know what to say. I have Sophie all signed up to start a toddler dance class today--have bought all the stuff--and she says she doesn't want to go. Who the fuck knows what to do with these kids. I think I'll flip a coin.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger hazel said...

trent has gone through similar stuff with sports and school in general, and katy's idea is exactly what I did. he obviously still had to go to school, but I talked to him about why he didn't want to go and helped him cope. and assured him that if it were really that bad again, that he could go to the nurse and have her call me and we'd figure it out from there. which he was okay with. and then I tried to build him up as much as possible, and the next day, I told him I thought he'd be just fine, reiterated the coping stuff, and sent him on his way. and no calls from the nurse. it's happened several times. I think he just needed the reassurance and wanted to let me know that things weren't as easy for him as they seemed. as soon as I validated his feelings, he was much better. maybe madeline is the same way?

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe just chalk it up to experience, and do some sort of reward system for finishing this camp so you get at least some of the $100 worth. Tell Maddy she doesn't have to enjoy it but maybe it could be a game to find out what she does enjoy or finds challenging about the class. Appeal to her intellect and her mind to see if she can figure out how to get the best out of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home