Thursday, October 06, 2005

Later Tater

Madeline was late to school today. We overslept. I peeled my eyes open after sleeping like a log and it was 9:00am. School starts at 9:00am. Madeline woke up right after I did, and immediately started panicking and trying to tell me what to do. She wanted to put on shorts, when it was obviously dark and cloudy outside, wanted to leave in the little pigtails she'd been sporting from yesterday, and wanted to wear sandals on a PE day, all in the hopes of saving time. Then she was pissed at me when I made her put on pants, and socks, and wanted to redo the tired hairdo. Her teacher must think I'm some kind of loser. I had to take her her lunch yesterday after forgetting to put it in her backpack, and we forgot to return her 'spelling contract' homework today. I have a little bit of an excuse on the homework thing, since it usually isn't due until Friday, but they're off tomorrow for 'Fall Recess' (?), so it was due a day early. I'm trying to decide whether I should take the homework over and turn it in today, or just pretend it doesn't exist.

Zach was up FIVE times between 3 am and 5 am last night. He kept saying he needed to poop, and then didn't poop when we took him to the toilet. I finally said, you can poop in the morning, you're not getting out of your bed any more. This was the second night in a row he's been getting up saying he needs to poop, and I don't really get it. Hopefully it doesn't become a habit. We've been used to sleeping all night, and don't enjoy the every half hour wakeup call he's been giving us. Other than that, he's been a real champ lately. No accidents in over 2 weeks I think. Knock on wood. It must be time to find a preschool. From what I've been able to see, it looks like our options are daycare/preschool facilities, and private christian preschool. Obviously, we won't be going for the christian option, although from what I hear, they are good programs, and I'm not really thrilled with the daycare/preschool thing. Madeline went to a really small preschool ran by a mom with preschool age kids when we were in Utah, and I'd prefer something like that for Zach. It was casual, and the kids seemed to have a lot of fun together. So, we'll see.

Even though we did oversleep, I was glad for the sleep last night. The two nights previous I had been having bad nightmares and sleeplessness. Not too sure what triggered that, and I was dreading a repeat last night, but luckily, I slept well. I'm one of those people who REALLY needs her sleep. Especially as I get older, I just can't handle sleepless nights. I get depressed and over-emotional when I don't get enough sleep. Speaking of depression though, I think I'm ready to say that the St. John's Wort is officially working. I was a tad pms-y this time around, but nothing like the debilitating depression I'd been dealing with the last few months. YAY!

We've decided to go with a local cabinet company for the remodel downstairs. My buddy Vic is just too busy, and won't have the time to do the project. I'm kindof bummed about that, but I think we are getting a good price (even though it's about 2 times what Vic was going to charge), and I'm confident that the work will be high quality. I need to finalize the design today and make some decisions on materials. Stress. The shelving and drawers will be off-white, and I need to decide what kind of countertop to put on the desktop and possibly the shelves above the desk. I'd been looking at a slate-type finish, similar to the one we had in our kitchen in Utah, which I loved, but I'm not sure how it will work as a desktop. I guess I could play it safe and go for an all-neutral color scheme, but I've been trying to take more chances in decorating this house. I wish there was someone here to hold my hand and give me their opinion. My mom and sisters were always the bomb at that kind of stuff. Maybe I can get clever and post some samples so that you guys can give me some opinions. Not terribly likely, but I can try.

I did have a nice visit with Vic after my meditation class Tuesday. He was telling me that he just got an email from Rebecca Soon (sp?) who was looking for Russ Benton, who apparently is working in Las Vegas at the Excalibur (I think he's Merlin?). I know that has absolutely no meaning for anyone who wasn't in the theater dept. at SUU in the early 90's, but for those of you who were (Ly and Stine), I thought it was funny.

Meditation class Tuesday night was AWESOME. I was a little worried that the 'monkey mind' would be insurmountable and that I'd spend the whole hour laying around thinking about all the crap that we think about when our bodies hold still for a minute, but I was pleasantly surprised to find myself completely in the zone by about 20 minutes in. My teacher Kim kicks ass. There was a thunder storm rolling through the area during class, which you might think would disrupt the meditative state, but I found it heightened the energy, and the sense of suspended reality quite nicely. The scheduling thing is a little difficult, because my usual yoga classes are Monday and Wednesday, and me going to class two days in a row totally throws off Clark's workout schedule, but you know what? He can deal. It's only for another 4 weeks anyways. It's not like I haven't put up with his insane schedule for the last 10 years. I love him, but he sure has the tendency to put his needs first. Now, it's my turn. :)

5 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger Stine said...

Oh my gosh, so much to respond to. Not sure about the Zach thing, maybe it's some kind of reinforcement/attention thing to make sure he still gets rewarded somehow for at least knowing or telling you he needs to poop. Dunno?

I hear you on the sleep thing. I turn into the walking dead when I don't get sleep. You can breathe on me the wrong way and I cry. I'm so happy about the St. John's Wort. If you can have the patience while it starts working, I think it can make a difference.

Definitely see if you can post pics of the different options for countertops. I'd love to see them, although the slate sounds nice.

I should tell Mayse about the Rebecca thing. They were/are best friends. Vic needs to get his ass up here to Seattle. God, it would be killer if we could get Vic up here, Rebecca up here, you AND Russ all at the same time. It would be old home week.

Double yay on the meditation class. That's wonderful. And yes, I think you're right, Mr. Man can deal. It's time for you baby!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Missuz J said...

I miss you so much today. Sorry I was a little blah on the phone. Sometimes talking to you on the phone just makes me sad that I can't talk to you in person. Excited for your cabinets. Love you.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger hazel said...

you're goddamn right, it's your turn!!

pooping at night? weird. maybe he's constipated or maybe he's got gas and thinks it's poop? fart, young boy!

I hate waking up late. all the rushing. it won't always be like that. I've been having weird dreams lately too - like one the other night where I swore even after I woke up that I had gasoline in my mouth.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Katy said...

Go for the slate. I loved your countertops in your house here and I think they would be a beautiful desktop. I swear our family is bipolar to eachother, half of us get happy and the other half gets depressed and moody. I'm going to go google St. John's Wort now.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger lonna said...

I always hated being late to school. Rush rush rush. On the other hand, if you slept that well, you must have needed it. That's what I always tell myself. I'm sick and I slept for five hours yesterday, and it didn't affect my night time sleeping at all. So I figure that that's what my body needed.

I don't have any advice about Zach either, but yeah for going two weeks without an accident.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home